DIY Gift Idea

Saturday 28 November 2015

I am sorry that I haven't updated my blog in a while - deadlines have been getting me down. I have History essays to write, an English presentation to perform and a show to put on because I'm directing a play this semester. I am always so stressed this time of year! But, on a more positive note, it's less than a month away until Christmas. Yay!

With the holiday season fast approaching, if you are struggling for gift ideas, a DIY Memory Board is the perfect present to give to a friend, family member or significant other. My boyfriend made me one for my birthday and I absolutely loved it - so much so that I even cried when he gave me it! I asked him how he created it and I wanted to share it with you (because it is too cute not to!)


So here is a step by step guide for the memory board:

You Need...
  • A solid but spongy board
  • A cute material which will be your board background
  • Thick lace
  • Pins
  • Strong liquid glue
  • Ribbon
  • Black material
  • Personalised accessories
Step 1

Buy the materials you want to use. This includes a rather large board made out of a solid but spongy surface (you don't want your memory board curling over, but you want it spongy enough to be able to stick pins into it). You should also buy some thick lace to attach to the board with pins, as this will be how your memories will be held in. If you ask at an arts and crafts shop, they will definitely have both of these items in. 




       


As you can see, Ryan bought a pretty white material with colourful birds and flowers so the board didn't look plain. He also bought accessories with the most cringy, meaningful quotes he could find because he knew I would love them (he chose a couple of them because we say them to each other all the time; the more personal the accessory, the better!)

Step 2

After you have bought everything you would like to use on your board, you must start actually making the board. Cut the chosen material to size and wrap it around the board tightly so it looks neat, then glue the material at the back (it doesn't matter if the back looks messy, we will be covering it soon.) 

Wait for it to set, then place the thick lace in a pattern on the board (remember, your memories will be slotted into the lace, so I would recommend placing your lace in a diagonal shape like Ryan has done here.)


After you are happy with your pattern, you must then get your pins and stick them into your lace so it will stay it in place, like Ryan has done here:


 You must then turn your board over and glue the remaining lace down to the back, as you want it to look neat. Whilst you are waiting for the glue to set, take your ribbon and make a loop at the back top of the board then pin the bottom edges of it down for extra security. This will enable you to hang it on the wall. 



After it has set and the lace and ribbon is secure, you must get your black material, cut it to size, spread glue all over it and stick it down to the back of your board. This will stop the back from looking untidy. 

Step 3

After the glue has set, your board will be ready to start slotting memories into it! Here are some memories Ryan included in mine:


When we went to Thailand, I asked him if we could buy a padlock and write our names on it then close it on a bridge, like on the love lock bridge in Paris. Unfortunately, it was our last night and neither of us had enough money to spend, so he decided to make us our own little padlock and stick it on our memory board.


We take far too many photos, so he placed our photobooth ones on here too.


He named our memory board the 'Bryan Board' - a private joke and a mixture of our names!


Another private joke we have - we call each other koala and bamboo so he bought me this Birthday card. He stuck pictures of us inside the card too so I just had to keep it. I placed this one on the board!


When we went to Mother Shipton's Cave, we hired a rowing boat just the two of us and he saved the receipt. 


When we were in Thailand, we went on a ferris wheel, despite Ryan's fear of heights and he kept our ticket.


I am obsessed with Zara, so when I persuaded him to buy an item of clothing from there, he kept the receipt.


This is far too strange to explain, but I promise that it was a private joke!

Ryan told me that by my next Birthday, he wants it to be full so I won't be able to see the background. That made me cry even more!

I would really recommend this gift. It's cute, simple and so so meaningful.

Has this inspired you to create your own memory board? Let me know below! x

No comments:

Post a Comment